Presentation: Draft Agenda and Committee Meeting Measures
Draft Agenda (22.10.2015)
1.Adoption of the agenda
2.Adoption of the minutes of the Standing Committee on Cosmetic Products of 26.06.15
3.Measures for vote
Draft Regulations on : trimethylbenzoyl diphenylphosphine oxide (TPO), Quaternium-15, diethylene glycol monoethyl ether (DEGEE); potassium hydroxide (KOH), authorization of Zinc Oxide (nano) and Carbon Black (nano)
4.Issues for discussion
– Nanomaterials : Draft regulation on the authorization of Titanium Dioxide (nano) – update, Catalogue of nanomaterials
– CMR substances : Draft Regulations on formaldehyde, on PHMB; 2-Chloroacetamide – update
– Other substances
Draft Regulations on : HWP and peanut oil , Methylisothiazolinone – update; Ethyl lauroyl arginate HCl – update; restriction of Zinc Oxide as a colorant – update
5.State of play RAPEX
Committee Meeting Measures
->The European Commission’s Standing Committee on Cosmetics Products has voted to approve the use of zinc oxide as a UV filter.
According to the Committee, the compound is considered safe to use both in its nano- and non-nano form, and also suitable as an alternative to some UV filters suspected of being endocrine disruptors.
The committee also voted to approve:
* KOH for use in cosmetic products that remove or soften calluses. The use of KOH is already allowed in other types of cosmetic products, including cuticle removers and ph regulators;
* TPO as an ingredient in nail modelling products, for professional use. Classified as CMR, it was considered safe for use in such products by the SCCS. The substance is considered to be allergenic, and, therefore, permitted only for use by professionals.
*In addition, the meeting voted to officially remove Quaternium-15 from the list of authorised preservatives under the cosmetics Regulation. The compound is due to be classified as a CMR and is already banned in cosmetic products.
* The Committee decided on concentration limits for use of DEGEE, in line with an assessment by the SCCS.